Charity tries to spread awareness of killer gas

NOV 20, 2013

The 8th National Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week is being launched at the House of Lords today by the founder of the charity Carbon Monoxide Awareness, Lynn Griffiths.

Lynn started the charity over eight years ago after she and her family suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning for over a decade.
“It is shocking that despite living in the ‘information age’ people still don't realise that carbon monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless highly toxic gas that can kill in under three minutes," said Lynn.

Carbon monoxide is produced by the incomplete combustion of any hydrocarbon fuel, such as coal, charcoal, wood, oil, petrol, diesel, natural gas and liquid petroleum gas (LPG).

Those poisoned by just low levels of carbon monoxide can go on to develop long-term chronic health problems.

Lynn warned: “Poisoning can have a devastating effect and the more people are aware of the signs and symptoms, especially at the initial stages, the more chance we have of preventing avoidable deaths or injuries.”

The charity is informing people that they can help to protect themselves by making sure they and their families have all their fuel burning appliances serviced every year, their chimney swept once or twice a year and by installing a carbon monoxide alarm in the 'correct place' in their home, caravan or boat.

Due to lack of donations this year, the charity is unable to take its message to many parts of the UK like it has done for the last seven years.

Consequently Lynn is pleading with MPs, councillors, housing associations and the media to all pledge their support to the charity's awareness week this year to help the charity reach the people it can’t.

“Please don't let someone you love/know or someone working/living in YOUR community fall victim to this silent killer,” Lynn said.
More information about preventing CO poisoning can be found on the charity's website www.covictim.org